Thursday, 14 May 2015

Creative Writing Advice: "This Next Bit's Really Nice" (May ed.)

Once a month, I will post a few nice things about creative writing. This idea was taken from Channel 4's The Book Group (well worth a watch).  As always, here is my picture meme:

Character reading a book, saying "This next bit's really nice."


Let the madness begin!


James Patterson 

Source: NaNoWrMo

Life is not a plot - no line is ever ended




Source:  FastCoCreate

William Faulkner
Ninety-nine percent talent... ninety-nine percent discipline... ninety-nine percent work. He must never be satisfied with what he does. It never is as good as it can be done. Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.

Neil Gaiman 



Harper Lee
Any writer worth his salt writes to please himself. He writes not to communicate with other people, but to communicate more assuredly with himself. It's a self-exploratory operation that is endless. An exorcism of not necessarily his demon, but of his divine discontent.

Previous editions:
April 2015
March 2015

twitter  |  facebook  |  goodreads  |  bloglovin 


2 comments:

  1. Somebody once told me, "The more you talk about writing, the less time you actually spend writing." I stopped talking about writing after that. And then I stole his line for myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a degree of truth there, it is important not to use it as an excuse for avoiding writing. But, saying that, if it is done well then I think it can improve your writing, make you less fearful and more efficient at harvesting ideas over time.

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.