Saturday, 14 February 2015

The Classics Club - 50 Classics in 5 years

The Challenge
To read and blog about (at least) 50 books within five years. Visit the Classics Club

I started this challenge February 2015.  So far I have completed: 8/50.

Status:
(IP) in progress
(F) finished
Format of books owned:
(Ab) Audiobook
(K) Kindle
(Hb) Hardback
(Pb) Paperback

My List:
1. Angelou, Maya: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
2. Atwood, Margaret: A Handmaid’s Tale (F)(Pb)
3. Austen, Jane: Emma (Pb)(K)
4. Borges, Jorge Luis: Labyrinths: Selected Stories (Pb)
5. Chekhov, Anton: The Major Plays
6. Chopin, Kate: The Awakening (K)
7. Conrad, Joseph: Lord Jim (Pb)
8. Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations (IP)(Pb)
9. Dostoevesky, Fyodor: The Idiot (Pb)(K)
10. Dostoevsky, Fyodor: Crime and Punishment (Pb)(K)
11. Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan: The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Pb)(K)
                  The Scarlet LetterThe Sign of Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles 
12. Du Maurier, Daphne: Rebecca (Pb)
13. Eliot, George: Middlemarch (Pb)(IP)
14. Eliot, George: Silas Marner (K)
15. Faulkner, William: The Sound and The Fury (Ab)
16. Forster, E.M.: Howard’s End
17. Ford Maddox Ford: Parade's End (Pb)(IP)
18. Frank, Anne: The Diary of Anne Frank (Pb)
19. Gaskell, Elizabeth: North and South
20. Gogol, Nikolay: Dead Souls
21. Golding, William: Lord of the Flies (Pb)
22. Hardy, Thomas: Far From the Madding Crowd (Pb)
23. Hardy, Thomas: Mayor of Casterbridge (Pb)
24. Hardy, Thomas: Return of the Native (Ab)(Pb)
25. Heller, Joseph: Catch-22 (Pb)
26. Hesse, Hermann: Siddhartha (Ab)
27. Irving, John: The Cider House Rules
28. Ishiguro, Kazuo: Never Let Me Go (F)(Ab) 
29. James, Henry: Turn of the Screw (K)
30. Joyce, James: Dubliners (K)
31. Kerouac, Jack: On the Road (Pb)
32. Kesey, Ken: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Pb)
33. le Carre, John: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Pb)
34. Lee, Laurie: Cider With Rosie (Pb)
35. Lewis, Sinclair: Arrowsmith (Pb)
36. Lawrence, D.H.: Sons and Lovers
37. Murdoch, Irish: The Bell (F)(Ab)
38. Nabokov, Vladimir: Pale Fire
39. Pasternak, Boris: Doctor Zhivago (Ab)
40. Proust, Marcel: Swann’s Way (K)
41. Salinger, J.D.: The Catcher in the Rye (Pb)
42. Somerset Maugham, W.: Of Human Bondage (F)(Pb)
43. Steinbeck, John: Grapes of Wrath 
44. Tolkien, J.R.R.: The Lord of the Rings (IP)(K)
45. Updike, John: Rabbit, Run (Pb)
46. Vonnegut, Kurt: Breakfast of Champions (K)
47. Waugh, Evelyn: Brideshead Revisited (Pb)
48. Wharton, Edith: The House of Mirth (Pb)
49. Woolf, Virginia: To the Lighthouse (F)(Pb)
50. Yates, Richard: Revolutionary Road (F)Pb)

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful list! I will definitely be following your progress....there are some titles I want to read as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I feel very lucky to be able to read them. I love your lists too, I was going to add some Émile Zola (you seem like a big fan) so I am sad I missed him out on this list!

      Delete
  2. Excellent list! I just finished North and South for the first time, and I'm about 3/5 of the way through Middlemarch. I see several favorites on here too: The Lord of the Rings, Rebecca, Catch-22...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm on Book Three of LoTR but there's so many great reads it's hard to know where to start. Have you seen Parades End? It's a BBC mini-series featuring Benedict Cumberbatch.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the "what book shall I read next" quandry can sometimes be overwhelming!

      I haven't seen Parade's End... got to admit all I've seen BC in are Sherlock, War Horse, and Star Trek: Into Darkness. However! This October I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing the telecast of him playing Hamlet! :-D Alas, I live in the USA, not the UK, so it's hard sometimes to see cool BBC things unless my library has them, I find them online, etc.

      Delete
    3. (We don't have cable. People with cable can watch great BBC stuff all the time, and even people who get free channels like PBS. I have tiny kids and we only watch DVDs and streaming stuff to control their viewing until they're older and more discerning. Also if I had cable, I would never get anything done at all, and my house is already a disaster 90% of the time.)

      Delete
    4. Wow! Isn't it great that NT Live can connect audiences together across all over the world. I saw David Tennant through a telecast and I got a much better view than I would have from the seats. I was lucky enough to get tickets to see him live but they were so expensive and I still have to buy train tickets to go to London too.

      Yes, I wasn't sure if you had heard of it with you being in the US. It's a really great series, although I haven't seen the last two episodes as I'm going to finish the book then rewatch the series from start to finish. I get most of my things from the library too and order them in. We don't have cable/sky either, it's far too expensive and to get your moneys worth you would have to sit in front of it all day so like you said you would never do anything but watch TV! :-)

      Delete
    5. I am so excited for this -- usually love telecasts of things I want to see don't wind up near me at all, so I'm really hoping that the theater that's listed as going to show it will actually do it.

      That's awesome that you got tickets to see it live too! I saw Jude Law as Hamlet on Broadway about 5 years ago, and oh, what an experience.

      Delete
  3. I love your selections here! I just wanted to say hello & let you know I'll be following along. Best wishes to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! Thanks and thanks, likewise with you :) All the best :)

      Delete

Dear Reader,
First, thank you for reading my blog. Second, please speak your mind. Your comments are super appreciated and I always make an effort to reply.